Saturday 15 October 2016

Finished FXU Steph Puppet




These are the turnaround images of Steph the Student, the stop motion puppet I made for the Falmouth and Exeter Students' Union Advice Service. 

She has a polymorph and aluminium wire armature, with nut and bolt tie downs. Foam was used to fill out the body shape. Her head is made from Fimo polymer clay and she has three replacement polymer clay faces: happy, sad and confused, which are secured to the head with tiny magnets sunk into the head and faces.


 Her skin is latex tinted with acrylic inks. Fabrics were dyed and then sewn to form her clothes, with the blue detailing on her top added in pen. The necklace is polymer clay threaded with cotton. To make her hair, a wig was fashioned from a piece of netting which I cut to the size of where Steph's roots would cover. I threaded various shades of blonde embroidery thread through the holes in the netting before stitching down the parting, to help hold the hair in place. I glued another piece of netting under the hair, so the hair was sandwiched between two pieces of netting, making it neater and tidier. I attached velcro to the underside of the wig and to the head, so that the wig could be taken on and off. Once I had put the wig on Steph I then cut it to the shape I wanted and then dragged a needle through the strands of embroidery thread, so that the individual threads came unwound, so that her hair became finer.

1 comment:

  1. HI, I realize this is an old post, but I am just finding it now. Thanks for sharing so much information about the trials and triumphs along the way of making your dog. I think it looks great in the end. The poses and head tilt and expressions you achieve make up for any technical issues you may have with the fur etc. He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete