Monday 22 February 2016

Dog Armature Building



My latest puppet endeavour is in the form of a dog, a border collie to be precise. I have a beautiful border collie and so have some live reference in my house which is always helpful! I decided to make a dog as I wanted to test out making a puppet with realistic looking fur, as I have only made stylized fur in the past. I also love dogs which was kinda a contributing factor....




I found some reference online and drew out a border collie's bone structure, to help with how the armature should work, as dogs have quite different back legs to that of a human's legs. I then drew out the armature, as shown below. The shape of the border collie is based on that of my dog, however with a slightly more athletic physique, as my dog is a stocky version of the breed.


I made the armature from aluminium wire and epoxy resin, with a clay head. I made an initial head from polymer clay, only to realise it was too big after I cooked it. This was unfortunately the last of my polymer clay so I had to resort to air drying clay. This is heavier than polymer clay, obviously bad since you need to keep the head light so that the body can support its weight, but I made the base from good ol' lightweight tinfoil, using the clay only for the sculpted outer layer, meaning the finished head was light enough. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment